Sunday, August 13, 2006

Da Meme

Okay, apparently this meme is what all the cool kids in the kidlitosphere are doing these days, including MotherReader and Gail Gauthier over at Original Content. I’ll chip in.

One book that changed your life

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee--specifically the theme about walking in another’s shoes. What capacity I have for empathy I have these days can be traced right to this book.

One book you have read more than once

Wait, can I get back to you on this? There’s far too many. Oh, okay, if you insist . . . *picks one at random from bookshelf* A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L’Engle. It was a surprise to me to realize a few years ago that this book has no plot, as such. You just take a journey through Vicky’s summer as she tries to reconcile life and death in all their many forms. Every time someone in my life dies, I have this deep and terrible need to read it again.

One book you would want on a desert island

The Complete Works of Jane Austen. It’s in omnibus form! That’s one book! Really, though, I would pick one of JA’s books, either Pride and Prejudice or Persuasion. Every time I read them, I find something new in the story, the characters, the wit, or even just the world. That’s one of the densest writers I’ve ever experienced, and not in a bad way. She just really packs it in. Plus, on a desert island, I would really have the time to sink into that convoluted language.

Although I have to say, if I were stuck on a desert island and I did have The Complete Works, I might finally get past page 50 of Mansfield Park.

One book that made you laugh

Recently? Startled By His Furry Shorts by Louise Rennison, the seventh in the seemingly endless confessions of Georgia Nicolson. Don’t read them in a row because she does get a bit tiresome after a while, but if you space them out appropriately (i.e. read the new one when it comes out), they’re a hilarious break from adult life.

One book that made you cry

Marly’s Ghost by David Levithin. Omigod. Bawled like a baby. Look for it to be blogged soon.

One book you wish had been written

The next book in the Damar series by Robin McKinley. I adored The Blue Sword, even if I didn’t much like The Hero and the Crown. It seemed that she was gearing up for a series of loosely linked standalones, then seemed to drop it. Poor sales? No personal interest anymore? Who knows? Sigh. However, hope springs eternal, and at least she’s still writing.

One book you wish had never been written

Every #$@^!!!! Mary Kate and Ashley book on the library shelf. The squick factor is through the roof. Did those girls ever get an actual childhood?

One book you are currently reading

Specials by Scott Westerfeld. I’ve been reading a lot of dystopic YA sci-fi lately. (See tomorrow’s blog.) It’s good, but it and Pretties don’t seem to have the special sparkle that Uglies did.

One book you've been meaning to read

Happy Kid! And I’m not just saying that to suck up to Gail.

More blogtastic books tomorrow!

1 comment:

Gail Gauthier said...

Gail wouldn't mind if you were.