Thursday, June 05, 2008

Book Review: Jazz Baby by Lisa Wheeler

Book: Jazz Baby
Author: Lisa Wheeler
Illustrator: R. Gregory Christie
Published: 2007

Jazz Baby is the luckiest baby in the world. See, Jazz Baby was born into a musical family. Mama, Daddy, Brother, Sister, Cousins, Aunties, Uncles, and even the neighbors get in on the fun as Jazz Baby bops.

This is the kind of books that makes you want to dance while you listen, or sing while you read. I could practically hear the rhythm and tones in my head, reading it to myself. It feels as if there should be a CD with it, but on reflection I'm kinda glad they didn't go that way.

My favorite spread featured music notes mimicking instrumentalists (trust me, it makes sense when you see it). Try this one out on active little ones. It'll even work around bedtime, because in the last few pages the mood mellows and the very last, "Oh yeah . . ." begs to be whispered just as you turn out the light.

No comments: