Saturday, January 25, 2003

Just a quick note to let y'all know that I'm not dead, just insanely busy. Would you believe that I have not packed one blessed thing in a suitcase? It's all piled on a card table in the family room or on the windowseat in my bedroom. And I leave in three days! I'd better do something 'bout that . . .

Maybe it's this cold snap, but it seems like all I want to do right now is shuffle around in pj's and slippers, forlornly blowing my nose. Alternatively, I want to curl up under mounds and mounds of covers and read good books. That's probably the reason why I don't have anything packed . . . :-p I'm clearing out my room so my parents can redo it while I'm overseas, and when I come back, I'll be home for about two weeks to a month before I move out for good. So I'm actually packing everything as if I'm moving out now. That's probably the reason for the vague depression that's nagging me. I never realized I had so much stuff, and most of it's flaming useless junk. I'm using my brother's room as a depository for all the things I'm getting rid of (don't worry, he's away at college) and the pile is bigger than the stuff I'll be taking with me when I move out. Sigh.

I'm trying hard to think of it as a character exercise (what do I really need in life? I mean really) but it's kind of tough.

Enough meloncholy.

Book for today: For My Lady's Heart by Laura Kinsale. This is a tough book to get into--the heroine is not always sympathetic. But when you do understand her, it's like a light coming on in your head: ding! Another interesting thing about it is that all the dialogue in English is rendered in fairly accurate Middle English. Not totally accurate--some of it had to be altered for the sake of clarity--but enough to make it pretty neat. And the Middle Ages mindset is also done very well, too. Try it out on a rainy Saturday.

No comments: