Thursday, January 03, 2008

I Thought He Already Was a Reading Ambassador

Popular Children's Author Named Reading Ambassador

Jon Scieszka was named the first National Ambassador for Young People's Literature. ("Young People" again. I need my bobby sox and my McCarthyism now.) This is an effort by the Library of Congress and the Children's Book Association to bring attention to children's literature and the state of literacy these days. (These kids with their iPods and their Harry Potter and their PSPs. In my day, we stared at the wall and we liked it. *thumps cane*)

I'm not sure Scieszka needed a formal title, since he's basically been evangelizing for literacy for years with his website Guys Read and the crazyfun anthology of the same name that he edited. However, monster kudos to Scieszka, the LoC, and the CBA for calling attention to the issue, and I hope this program continues.

Thanks to Susan of Wizard's Wireless for passing it on via the Kidlitosphere Yahoogroup.

No comments: