Monday, January 12, 2009

Gives the Term Electronic Book a Whole New Meaning

100 Scope Notes posted a review of a book called Skeleton Creek a few days back. Now the book itself sounds pretty neat, but what really caught my attention was how the author used a mixture of old-fashioned text on paper and new-fangled Internet video to tell his story.

Interesting. I remember a book maybe last year or 2007 that worked together with a website, and the 39 Clues series is famously utilizing all sorts of things, online and offline, to hook kids in. What do you guys think? Will we be seeing this a lot more often, or will it remain a gadget and a hook?

And my question is, what happens if/when the website or the videos go down? How will that affect the reading of the book?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When the original website goes offline?

Why, then you get to be a /real/ internets detective, tracking down torrents or youtube shares of the video. (:

Cheryl Vanatti said...

Good question! I just got my hands on a copy of this book. Will be posting a review later in the week...

(will be located at my personal site as well as my child lit site.)