Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Ursula K. LeGuin Interview

Have I mentioned how much I love retellings?

Well, I do.

Have I mentioned that I took Latin in college, on purpose, and had to translate the entire second book of The Aeneid from Latin into English, plus read the whole thing (in English)?

Well, I did.

Have I mentioned that Ursula K. LeGuin is retelling the second half of The Aeneid from the point-of-view of Lavinia, otherwise known as That One Girl Aeneas Had to Marry to Get the Throne of Rome But We All Know He Still Loved Dido and Who Cares About That Girl Anyway? (Although most people just refer to her as Lavinia, if they remember her at all.)

Well, no, cuz I just found out. Here, have an interview. Quoteage:
So in writing this I was not trying to set a wrong right or give voice to a woman who was unjustly deprived of her voice, it's just that she was my way into Virgil's world, in a way. As a woman I could think, well, what did Lavinia feel about all this? How did she see it? What was her life like? She was sort of my key to open the door.
Intriguing. I may want to re-read The Aeneid after Lavinia. But if I reach for the Latin-English dictionary, shoot me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been sitting on my TBR pile since ALA Midwinter last year. I took four years of Latin in high school and a year of Latin in college. I had to grab this at ALA and it just never made it to the top of my pile. I may move it up this week. :)
-sarah

Bibliovore said...

Oooo, lucky! If you do, tell us how it is!