Saturday, January 01, 2011

Reading Roundup: 2010

By the Numbers
Teen: 255
Tween: 117
Children: 164
Caveat: Many books fell into more than one category, especially those tween books that could go either up or down. No, I didn't really read 536 books this year. I wouldn't have had time to sleep.

Sources
Review Copies: 38
Swapped: 50
Purchased: 17
Library: You think I'm going to count that high? Are you insane?

Standouts
Teen: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
Selected in June: "Just like its heroine, this book is so much more than it seems." And here's my review.
Tween: Julia Gillian and the Quest for Joy by Alison McGhee
Selected in November: "McGhee doesn't disappoint in her follow-up to the quietly marvelous Julia Gillian and the Art of Knowing. Serious, sensitive Julia Gillian feels her way through the early tween years the same way we all did--by making mistakes and learning from them." And there's another book out! Wahoo!
Children: Max Quigley, Technically Not a Bully by James Roy
Selected in December: "Talk about actions being louder than words. While Max Quigley steadfastly refutes any charges of bullying and constantly denigrates the nerdy Triffin Nordstrom, his actions trace the changes in his character. Often compared to Diary of a Wimpy Kid, I like this book better. Throw tomatoes if you must."

Reading through the roundups, I realized how many nonfiction books I picked. Whether it's because of nonfiction Monday calling my attention to what's out there, or the way we've been getting such awesome examples of the genre lately, I don't know.

All the roundups for 2010

Wow, I can't wait for the awards! What were your picks for the best of 2010?

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

I hadn't seen Max Quigley. I'll have to read that.