Monday, October 01, 2007

The Five Lost Aunts of Harriet Bean

Book: The Five Lost Aunts of Harriet Bean
Author: Alexander McCall Smith
Published: 2007

Harriet Bean has always thought it was just herself and her absent-minded dad. But one day he happens to say, “Your aunts would like to hear about that!”

Uh . . . what aunts?

Undeterred by years of lost time, Harriet Bean is off, tracking her brand-new aunts down across the country. And what marvelous aunts they are . . . a circus strongwoman, a ventriloquist opera singer, two mind-reading private detectives, and the bossiest teacher ever.

There’s an off-kilter feel about this book (like the names of the aunts: Veronica, Majolica, Harmonica, Thessalonika, and Japonica) that reminds me of Roald Dahl at his poker-faced dottiest. It’s also a very fast-moving story, great for reluctant readers, fans of Roald Dahl, and reading aloud.

Alexander McCall Smith is best known in this country for his Number 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency books. I’ve never read those, but if they’re anything like as sly and charming as The Five Lost Aunts of Harriet Bean, I’m putting myself on the list now.

1 comment:

max said...

A Chapter A Week -

Beginning on Monday, October 1, and for the next 6 Mondays, I will post a chapter from one of my 7 published, action-adventures & mysteries, especially for boys 8 – 13. These teaser chapters are being posted for a couple of reasons.
I hope to encourage more teachers, parents, and children to sample my writing, and then purchase one or more of my books on Amazon, or directly from me, if you want autographed copies. Each book is rated by Accelerated Reader. I've written an additional 28 manuscripts.

There is a tremendous need for books for boys. Plus, Christmas isn’t that far away.

But even if you don’t purchase copies, I hope you will have your boy(s) check out my blog each Monday from October 1 through November 12, and catch all the excitement. Girls love these books too.

See you soon on my blog http://booksandboys.blogspot.com and I hope you’ll leave comments after reading each chapter.

Max Elliot Anderson

Author

Now, from an author who hated to read...comes books kids hate to put down.