Monday, June 11, 2012

48HBC: Finish Line!

I'm writing this very late at night, but scheduling it to post at 6:30 am, the time that I started this bloggy adventure two days ago. So here are the totals:

Time
Reading: 24:03:35
Blogging (including this post): 4:54:10
Socializing (Twitter, FB, other blogs): 1:57:35

Grand Total: 30:55:20

Yes, there are seconds on there. I use a stopwatch system, because estimation makes me twitch a little bit.

This is more than I've ever hit before, which is just awe-inspiring. More so when you consider that I had to work for a few hours Saturday morning.

Books
Total: 10 plus one audiobook
Longest time spent reading: Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta
Shortest: Darth Paper Strikes Back by Tom Angleberger

Giving Back
I pledged $10 per finished book to RIF, so that's $100 right there. Also, $1 per comment, though I won't count it up for a couple of days, so feel free to leave comments anywhere.

Reflections
I've been thinking that I'm not reading as fast or as much as I used to, but this weekend showed me that it's because other things are taking up my time and energy. Not that it's a bad thing. You have to have balance, after all. But it is nice to just hunker down and read down your stack. '

Next year I don't think I'll pair two long books back-to-back. While Leverage and Froi of the Exiles were separated by a night of sleep, it was still a considerable energy drain.

This was my first year writing up capsule reviews. I still wrote full-length ones, but I'm saving them to schedule on my blog. I found it interesting to pick out just one or two lines that distilled my reaction to the book, and I also really like the idea that there are reviews ready to go for a couple of the busiest months of my year. You guys will have to let me know how it worked for you.

I always enjoy this. There's something about doing something so crazy along with a bunch of other people who are also blogging and tweeting and sharing about it. Thanks again for another great year, MotherReader!

5 comments:

MotherReader said...

My pleasure! Thanks for playing and for your generous donation to RIF. When you get a chance, please sign in on the Finish Line post so I can keep track of everyone. Thanks!

Liviania said...

Wow, that's an amazing time. Congratulations!

It is nice to have a buffer of reviews written isn't it?

Ms. Yingling said...

I have spent most of today scheduling reviews and generally getting organized, especially since I don't have much left to read. I'm also thinking vague thoughts about a January Reading Binge... I'll have to see if Mother Reader would mind!

Trisha said...

I continue to be in awe of your precise timekeeping, even knowing how you do it. :)

And, woohoo, big donation to RIF! Now, am off to comment on your other 48HBC posts...

Sarah Stevenson said...

Really impressive, Maureen!! Awesome.

I look forward to reading Darth Paper Strikes Back--I enjoyed the first book. Very funny!