Monday, September 03, 2007

Best Books of the Year (So Far): High School

Hey, I'm back! It's been a wild summer, but I lived through it, and they tell me they can take the straitjacket off just as soon as I stop talking to my toenail clippings.

Anyway, I thought my first real review back should be a good one. I have many saved up, but not one quite special enough. What to do? Then MotherReader, who is the champion of kidlitosphere challenges, offered up another one.
If you want to join in, starting after Labor Day, post your "Best Books of 2007 (So Far)" in any or all of the categories: Picture Books, Early Elementary, Elementary, Middle School, High School. Mix in your nonfiction or graphic novels by the age categories.

Well, okay then. I'm starting today with my pick for best High School book of 2007. Drumroll please!

The Bibliovore's Best High School Book of 2007 (So Far): Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr

I've already blogged this, so I'll just point you at that entry: Story of a Girl Bibliovore Review

Honorable Mention: The Off Season by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

This was a photo finish, folks. You should have seen the wailing and tearing of hair here at Casa de Bibliovore. This sequel to Dairy Queen, which I also blogged last year, is the second story in the life of D.J. Schwenk, where Catherine Gilbert Murdock takes on all the untold stories from the first book. We get to know both the estranged brothers (Win and Bill) better, and DJ's relationship with Brian Nelson takes some unexpected turns. Murdock continues what I loved about the first book: DJ's frank, colloquial voice and the focus on interpersonal relationships. Without giving too much away, she diverges from the obvious story and talks about what's really going on in this family and this young woman. More, please? Maybe?

Coming tomorrow: Middle School!

No comments: