Saturday, June 07, 2014

48HBC Book 3: The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna

Time: 2:20
Source: Local Library

I wasn't entirely thrilled with my third pick. I hoped it would be a tight, thrilling story but it dragged quite a bit for me. It did have some interesting themes of identity and the right to live, however.

Capsule review: "What I did like? Eva's tense, wobbly relationship with Amarra, like a younger sister always in her older sister's shadow, with the older sister resenting that she exists at all. The portrait of the parents' grief, both assuaged and heightened by Eva's presence. There was also the boyfriend's grief, which is a complicated beast, all tangled up with sadness and guilt and interest in Eva. The setting is also a view of India we don't often get, a well-to-do middle-upper-class world with light touches of non-Western detail."

Time for some networking!

2 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

Time of the Fireflies was really good if you like time travel and old houses and creepy dolls. I'll definitely be buying a copy for my school library. I'm just waiting to schedule all of my reviews next week, but I'd definitely request it! Fire Wish was interesting, too.

Jenny @ Reading the End said...

Yep, this dragged for me too when I read it. There were some parts that I thought were excellent, but overall I didn't feel like the book held together very well.